Divorce Appeals

Birmingham Divorce Appeal Attorneys Appealing Alabama Divorce Decrees to the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals and The Alabama Supreme Court

Once your divorce Order has been issued, that doesn’t mean the case is over.  If your divorce attorney sees the trial judge has made a clear error, the law allows them to file a motion to alter, amend, or vacate the divorce decree to comply with the law.  If the trial judge fails to amend the judgment an Alabama divorce appeal attorney can appeal the judgment to the five member Alabama Court of Civil Appeals and in limited circumstances even to the Alabama Supreme Court. Issues that can be appealed are numerous and include but are not limited to:

  • Unfair division of marital property
  • Improperly changing child custody
  • Errors in child support computation
  • Decisions that impede a parties parental rights
  • Improperly dividing retirement funds

While the Court of Civil Appeals gives deference to the trial court, this discretion only goes so far.  In some cases, no deference is given if the trial court improperly applied Alabama law. An experienced attorney for a divorce appeal is needed to determine your best issues for appeal.  Divorce cases have been reversed by the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals in instances where the trial court’s divorce decree was contrary to Alabama law. If you have recently divorced, and are unhappy with the divorce decree, act quickly. You only have a limited amount of time from the final judgment to file a notice of appeal.  Contact our Birmingham divorce appeal attorneys  Boles Holmes White LLC at 205-502-2000 to review your decree and discuss your appeals options.

Speak To An Attorney

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.